These are some examples of the nano and micron sized exotic materials which can be custom added to our 3Dresyns for providing unmet functional properties:
Grey aluminum-silicon alloys are used in wear resistant mechanical devices, in the production of lightweight materials and as catalyst support.
Barium Titanate (BaTiO3)
White cubic barium titanate has unique optical and electric properties and it is used in data storage, ceramics, lasers, micro-capacitors, etc.
• Data storage. Used in high-density optical data storage
• Dynamic holography. Used in production of mirrors and lasers
• Ceramics. Used in ferroelectric ceramics, semiconductive ceramics and ceramic capacitors
• Computing. Used in optical computing, on-chip programming, pattern recognition, optical image processing
• Electronics: Used in piezoelectric devices, micro-capacitors, pyroelectric sensors, varistors, dielectric amplifiers and assorted electro-optic devices
Black or brown Boron is used in high speed cutting applications due to its thermal and abrasive properties
• Ignition. Used in charcoal briquettes, fuels, torches
• Corrosion inhibition. Used in anti-freeze, brake fluids, hydraulic systems
• Photoelectric applications. Used in photography, tanning, electrolytic condensation, fuel cells
Dark grey or black Bismuth is used in a variety of fields including:
• Lubricant additives with low toxicity
• Nuclear heat transfer medium for nuclear reactors
• Medical imaging agent as contrast agent for medical imaging and cancer treatment
• Metallurgical industry as alloying agent for the production and joining of certain metals
Gold is used in aesthetics and high-tech optical-electronic applications: medical imaging, photography, and other optical/imaging applications. It is also used in cancer diagnosis, photothermal therapy and conductive electronic applications
Graphene is atomically thin layered crystalline carbon. It has electrical conductivity, high surface area, increased adsorption and transparency properties. Graphene is used as electrode material in batteries for increased capacity, charge-discharge frequency and longevity, in transparent electronics such as touch screens, LCDs or OLEDs and as chemical insulation material. Graphene is also used in tissue engineering, bioimaging, medical devices and pharmacology.
• Medical devices. Used in bio-sensors, diagnosis devices, microbial detectors, DNA sequencing tools
• Bioimaging. Used in contrast agent for photoaucustic and thermoacustic imaging.
• Tissue engineering. Used in reinforcement agent in various composites for bone tissue applications
• Biomicrorobotics. Used in biomicrorobotics as living humidity sensor.
• Drug delivery. Used in cancer drug delivery applications
Grey or black iron is used in electronics, medicine, imaging, environmental management, data storage:
• Probing. Used in tools for recording magnetic activity.
• Recording media. Used in magnetic data storage and recording
• Ferro fluids and pastes. Used in ferro fluids, magnetic pastes, and similar compounds.
• Medical applications. Used in imaging solutions and drug carrier for certain delivery mechanisms.
• Environmental applications. Used in soil contamination, helping to degrade heavy metals and other compromising environmental hazards.
• Electromagnetic-wave absorption. Used in shielding solutions
Black Germanium is used in optical applications and in energy, medicine, electronics and imaging applications
• Energy applications for lithium-ion batteries due to its high surface area
• Medical applications. Anti-inflammatory and circulatory improvement of the immune system
• Electronic applications. Used in integrated circuits utilizing germanium in silicon-germanium alloys
• Imaging applications: optical properties, medical imaging
Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)
Grey Nano Molybdenum Disulfide is used in solid lubricant materials for equipment,
space vehicles, satellites and military vehicles but also as catalyst and for composite applications.
Yellow-brown Silicon (Si) is used in optical and semiconductive applications as semiconductor with high specific surface area, in rechargeable batteries as the negative electrode material for improved capacity.
• Optical properties confinement of electrons and quantum effects, besides aesthetic design, energy, biomedicine and biosensing.
• Semiconductors: quantum confinement seen at the nanostructure size, silicon nanoparticles have seen intense research as a semiconductive material. Precision electronics manufacturing and production
• Solar Energy Cell. solar energy cells production, thin film solar cells and amorphous silicon solar cells
• Lithium-ion Battery. Lithium-ion batteries with triple the energy storage potential of regular lithium-ion batteries
Rare Earth elements
Rare Earth elements include seventeen chemical elements, fifteen lanthanides, scandium and yttrium.
Silica or Silicon Dioxide (SiO2)
Amorphous Silica or Fumed Silica is used as a filler in plastics, for insulation and for making 3D printed glass
Silicon Carbide (SiC)
Black Silicon Carbide or carborundum, is a semiconductor containing silicon and carbon. Silicon Carbide is a high chemical and temperature resistant semiconductor material. It has higher hardness and strength than corundum.
Sintered Silicon Carbide forms very hard ceramics used in high endurance applications, such as brake pads or clutch facings, ceramic plates, grinding, honing, water jet cutting and sandblasting, brake discs.
Tungsten Disulfide is a solid lubricant with superior chemical and physical properties; high stability at high temperature and pressure. Used in greases, oils or lubricants for high performance friction materials.
Silicon Nitride (Si3N4)
Nano Silicon Nitride has a very high hardness between corundum and diamond and high tensile strength at room and at high temperature. Nano Si3N4 is used in higher stress and temperature resistant: cutting tools, turbine blades, rotors and dies.
Silver has excellent antibacterial and antibiotic characteristics. It is used in surface coatings of electronics, textiles, metals, woods, ceramics, glass, papers and plastics in hospitals and clean rooms. Silver is used in biotechnical, pharmacological, medical, anti-microbial, electronics “conductive” applications:
• Anti-microbial applications: Silver suppress pathogens and used in detergents, toys and consumer products
• Conductive applications: used im conductive materials production, including LCD and LED screens, touch screens, used in microelectronics
• Chemical applications: used in ethylene oxidation reactions and in chemical vapor sensors and other devices
• Optical applications: used in solar cells, medical imaging equipment, optical limiters, spectroscopic equipment, etc
• Pharmacological applications: used in antimicrobial, cell dying and genetic tests
Silver (Ag) nano wires
Silver nanowires have potential usage in solar cells and flexible displays and can replace indium tin oxide due to its flexibility, clarity and electrical conductivity.
Titanium Carbide (TiC)
Titanium Carbide has high hardness and temperature resistance with a melting point above 3100°C. It is used in grinding devices, grinding pastes or grinding wheels
Titanium Dioxide (TiO2)
Titanium Dioxide has excellent UV light absorption. It has a good chemical and thermal stability. It is insoluble in water, organic acid and weak inorganic acid, however is soluble in sulfuric acid, alkali and hydrofluoric acids.Titanium Dioxide is used in cosmetics, inks and coatings, plastics, food packing material and generally as a UV-filter.
Titanium Nitride (TiN)
Titanium Nitride is non-toxic and chemically inert with high thermal conductivity and infrared absorption. It is used in PET bottles for increased durability, light fastness for increased shelf-life of drinks
Tungsten Disulfide (WS2)
Tungsten Disulfide is used in solid lubricant materials exposed to high temperature pressure, vacuum, loads, radiation and/or corrosive environments.
Zinc Oxide (ZnO)
White Zinc Oxide is used in rubbers, plastics, ceramics, glass, cement, lubricants, paints, adhesives, sealants, pigments, foods, batteries, ferrites, fire retardants and first-aid tapes for screening of ultraviolet and infra-red light, sterilization and health protection, lowering temperature or heat insulation. improve tear resistance.
Zirconium Carbide (ZrC)
Zirconium Carbide has excellent oxidation resistance at high temperatures, high tensile strength, high hardness and good thermal conductivity. It is used in cemented carbides to produce cutting tools with improved heat transfer and increased wear resistance.
Zirconium Dioxide (ZrO2)
Zirconium Dioxide or Zirconia has good acid, alkali, corrosion resistance and high temperature resistance. Zirconia is used in technical ceramics, pigments, abrasive materials, jewel materials, in batteries as well as in capacitors.
Please feel free to contact us to consult about our exotic customised materials and services and your specific unmet application performance goals at: info@3Dresyns.com