"Thinking about “green technologies”. A bio approach to life…"
Our comittment is to reduce fossil carbon emissions. Our company uses photovoltaic electricity, electric cars and renewable raw materials to replace as much as possible the use of petroleum-based raw materials.
We believe that bioplastics are the future and that they will contribute significantly to a more sustainable society. Our mission is to develop biocompatible and bio-based resins "bioplastics" for the SLA DLP, LCD and inkjet 3D printing market. Our goal is to reduce the use of petroleum-based raw materials where technically possible and promote sustainability and eco friendly alternatives. When technically feasible we use bio-based and biodegradable ingredients based on “green” technologies and natural sources without sacrificing quality and performance. The basic components of our bio-based bioplastic resins are “green” and are based on natural biological derivatives (not derived from animals), which are functionalized to react with light. Most of our synthetic and bio-based resins are organo-tin free and have high purity, very low residuals, low odor and are made with bioplastics.
All our resins are bisphenol A (BPA) free. BPA exhibits toxic, endocrine, mutagenic and carcinogenic effect in living organisms. BPA is supposed to elevate risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease in humans. Despite its toxicity unfortunately it is still used by most of our competitors even for biomedical applications.
What are bioplastics?
Bioplastics are a large family of different bio materials. They comprise of a whole family of materials with different properties and applications. A plastic material can be defined as a bioplastic if it is either biobased, biodegradable, or features both properties:
- Biobased: The term ‘biobased’ means that the material or product is (partly) derived from biomass (plants). Biomass used for bioplastics stems from e.g. corn, sugarcane, or cellulose.
- Biodegradable: Biodegradation is a chemical process during which microorganisms that are available in the environment convert materials into natural substances such as water, carbon dioxide, and compost. The process of biodegradation depends on the surrounding environmental conditions (e.g. location or temperature), on the material and on the application.
Bio-based is not the same as biodegradable
Biodegradation does not depend on the source of a material but is linked to its chemical composition. In other words, biobased plastics may be non-biodegradable, and fossil based plastics can biodegrade.
Benefits of bioplasticsThere are several advantages of bioplastics versus conventional plastics:
- they save fossil resources by using biomass which regenerates and provides the unique potential of carbon neutrality
- additionally, biodegradability is a key property of certain types of bioplastics. It offers additional means of recovery at the end of a product’s life
Our bioplastic 3D resins are "green" and produce less carbon dioxide than conventional plastics. Their overall environmental impact is much lower than that of conventional plastics, and as petrol costs rises, bioplastics relatively low cost becomes more and more competitive.
Some biodegradable bioplastics can break down in less than than a year, given the right conditions. Others require longer time for biodegradation. Bioplastics are an ideal replacement for conventional plastics whose problems include:
- long decomposition times: thousands of years
- landfill and sea life pollution
- non-renewable resource
- toxic and carcinogenic chemicals are used such as BPA and many other plasticizers.
- large carbon footprint in both production and recycling.
3Dresyns expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
3Dresyns is comitted to contribute towards the17 SDGs goals.
- 3Dresyns and its founder non-profit interests
- All about 3D resins, 3Dresyns, its origins, its services, and its contribution to 3D printing and additive manufacturing
- 3Dresyns statement about innovation and sustainable technological development
- 3Dresyns principles, concepts, leitmotifs, mantras, and driving forces
- 3Dresyns code of ethics